I completed this window shade for our master bathroom with one yard of fabric, a $3 curtain rod, and some Stitch Witchery, which means I didn’t sew a stitch. It took me under an hour to finish the whole thing. Plus, it replaced a sad, limp temporary paper shade. All in all, it’s a much better solution to our bathroom window covering. I only wish I hadn’t waited so stinking long to replace the old one.
I started with a yard of fabric from Fabric.com. I used Richloom Evelynne slub in Lemongrass. My window is a short wide window high up on the wall, and I wanted to make the window appear bigger. I didn’t trim any length of f my yard of fabric, and since my window is about 50 inches wide, I only had to trim a few inches off the width. I knew I wanted my shade to hang down about 24 inches, and I wanted enough extra length to gather it.
I ended up with about a foot of extra material, which I pinned up with straight pins. I put two in the middle, and one on each end. Most of the year, we get softly filtered light through this window. But there are a few months in the fall when the full Colorado sun angles straight into the mirror, making it difficult to walk in the bathroom without wearing sunglasses. During these months, I can let down the length until the sun shifts again.
I just hemmed my edges with my iron and Stitch Witchery. I love this stuff. I’ve never used it in a humid area like a bathroom before, and I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t hold up to all the showers. But it’s been up about a month so far, and we haven’t had any problems yet.
I used this super cheap curtain rod to hang it, and it worked great. Again, I’m not sure why I waited so long to take down the temporary shade.
I’m not sure what to call this type of shade. Maybe some of you will know. But it’s pretty and functional, and it was cheap and easy to make. It hits all the requirements for a fun afternoon house project.